Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Me on the Map plus Bats!

Hey yall!
 
Sorry I've been MIA lately. I wish I could say that I am planning on being around more often...but I would be lying.
 
Honestly?
 
I'm pretty sure that this hectic pace is going to stick for quite awhile :(
 
But I will try and keep up with you guys at least once or twice a week!
 
Soo....what have we been up to?
 
In Social Studies, we have been learning where we are in the world, continent, country, state, and city. Well....if you are 6, that's ALOT of information coming at you!
 
I'm not sure about your students, but mine were having issues. They told me they lived in the state of America and in the city of Georgia. Forget the continent...they had no idea what that was.
 
Sigh.
 
So we started from scratch.
 
We read this book by Joan Sweeney
 
 
and made our "Me on the Map" projects.
 
I'm sure you've seen these all over Pinterest :) The littles did a really good job with it, and it seemed to help them really grasp the concept.
 



 
If you would like the sheets that we used, you can grab those here.
 
In writing, we have been working on informational texts. What better time to learn and write about bats than Halloween?
 
We started about by reading  a ton of informational books about bats. My absolute favorite one that we read though was this sweet little book.
 
 
 How did I not know that there were bats as tiny as bumblebees???
 
Don't believe me???
 
Look!
 
 
Now, I don't think that I could ever describe a bat as being cute, but this one is pretty stinking close :)
 
After we read a bajillion books about bats, my littles filled out their bat fact organizer, brainstormed some great opening and closing sentences, and got to writing!
 
We used this awesome freebie from the amazing Anna Brantley at Crazy for First Grade.
Then we made this awesome craftivity freebie from the amazing Teri at A Cupcake for the Teacher.
 
Seriously...what would I do without all of you amazing teachers out there???
 


 
I feel like I have so much more to show you guys, but it is waaaay past my bedtime.
 
Until next time, friends!

2 comments:

  1. We are just finishing a unit on bats and we have talked about the Bumblebee bat! Now I can show them a picture of one thanks to your blog! We also used the same worksheet from Anna too! My kids have loved this unit. I even had one of my lessons as my evaluation with my principal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say THANK YOU for posting the picture!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments!!!

Natalie