Saturday, February 11, 2012

What Do You Hear?

Hey yall! So glad it's Saturday. This was the longest week ever....and the coldest! The temps are in a chilly 30s right now, which may not seem cold to yall, but it is for us Georgians! Especially since this has been the mildest winter in awhile, with high temps in the 60s and low 70s for weeks.

This week, we had tons of fun with our sounds unit. I'm pretty sure that I haven't seen my kids this excited about anything else. And I completely understand, because I love science, too! Beware, this post is loaded with pictures!

We completed vibration stations this week.

Station 1 - Kazoos


Station 2 - Drums


Station 3 - Stick it in Your Ear



Station 4 - Eggs Full of Sound
These were awesome!!! It was super a little noisy, but definitely worth it! I set the timer and gave each group 7 minutes at each station. When the timer went off, they moved on to the next station. Now, I can't take credit for this idea....it came from one of our science resources. However, I did reword and cutesify (is that a word? ha!) the center cards. Click on the picture below to get them.


Yesterday, we played musical bottles!



We talked about pitch and then I showed them a xylophone. We discussed how different notes had different pitches, and why these changed from note to note.


Then I showed them the musical bottles and asked them to predict which bottle had the highest pitch.



My littles are obviously geniuses, since the majority of them guessed right that the blue bottle had the highest pitch. We discussed why the blue bottle had the highest pitch (less water, so it vibrated faster) and I played a few notes for them. Talk about amazing! Their faces really lit up and they were so excited. Then I told them that they were going to make their own songs and would even get to play them on our musical bottles! You would have thought I announced an improptu field trip. Somehow, between all the cheering and squeals, I managed to pass out their pattern strips and they got to coloring.


Then they cut out their pattern strips....


...arranged them into a simple pattern of their choosing...



...and glued them onto a sheet of black construction paper.


We also sang this really cute song about sound, but I can't for the life of me remember the words.

We ran out of time, so they haven't gotten to play their songs yet, but we will do that on Monday.

Okay, this girl is starved! Time for some Cocoa Pebbles :)

Happy weekend!


6 comments:

  1. Looks so engaging and loaded with lots of learning!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your sound activities especially the musical bottles.
    Jessica

    Apples and Papers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and this activity looks so much fun!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your sound activities! I can't wait until our sound unit so I can try them out. :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments!!!

Natalie