Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sicklings, Bubbles, and Earth Day!

Hey yall! Is it Friday yet?

Our school is knee-deep in state testing and I am O.V.E.R. it!

First graders in my district don't have to test. But my school is having first graders take mock CRCTs to get them ready for the real thing once they get to third. Soo....last Wednesday, Thursday, and yesterday we took mock CRCTs.

Today and tomorrow, we won't have testing, but will still have to be quiet as little mice for the older grades.

The worst part? We don't get our specials :( and we have to eat lunch in the classroom. This means no break for me :( or my littles...boo.

So what have we been up to with all this quiet time?

We talked about being sick and made these little cuties, inspired by Kristin (do I even need to say at A Teeny Tiny Teacher?).






We also were working on writing instructions, and I just KNEW this would be the perfect time to make these! I found this from the teacher wife, but not sure where the original idea came from...






We tried soooo hard to round out our balloons, but they all just kept looking rather pointy!

Yes, I know what they look like...but what can I do?



In science, we have been discussing organisms. We made our own aquariums and added plants. Then we got to add snails last week, and today we got to add guppies! 

The littles were all given hand lenses and got to observe these creatures up close. Then we made a Venn diagram to compare and contrast.

Sorry for the crappy quality...

Need some last minute Earth day acitivities? How about making this little cutie?



You can find this acvity in my Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute! packet.



This packet includes:
*Template tracers
*Printable template for colored paper
*2 different writing prompts

Click here to get it from TN and here to get it from TPT.

Alright folks, I'm off to work on my Pinterest Exchange gift!


6 comments:

  1. CUte! The ones with the kleenex look like me right about now!! lol
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bubblegum activity!! I need to fit it in...
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm totally loving your comment about the balloons, lol!!! We had to eat lunch in our classroom again, boo!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Testing seems to take over the world these days, except where I live. Anyone want to teach in Idaho? :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie, I just found your blog through the K-2 Linky Party. I totally sympathize with you about keeping the kids quiet during testing. I haven't had any specials, recess or breaks this week either. Great ideas in this post! I'm so glad I found your blog. I just put up some freebies (including a fantasy vs. reality graphic organizer and a guided reading book that you could maybe use in 1st grade with your low group?) on my blog. Come and check it out if you have time. :)

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments!!!

Natalie